Ukraine fire rockets during night operations in Zaporizhzhia
Europe’s largest nuclear plant is being put at major risk due as Russian occupiers tamper with the site, according to Ukraine’s spy chief.
Kyiv’s Military Intelligence Chief Kyrylo Budanov said Ukraine could have another crisis on its hands due to Kremlin’s forces mining the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant’s cooler, reports The Daily Express US.
The six-reactor complex has been under occupation since shortly after Moscow’s forces invaded in February 2022. The new development has emerged as Ukraine’s counter-offensive is making good progress in the Russian-occupied areas of Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia.
Budanov said the plant is teetering on the brink of disaster as regular water supplies to the cooler have been cut off since Moscow’s forces destroyed the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant dam last month.
Budanov explained there is now a “certain threat” the nuclear centre could face “significant problems”. He added: “The worst thing is that Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant was additionally mined during this time.
“It was the cooler that was mined. If they disable it by blowing it up, there is a high probability that there will be significant problems.”
Faced with potentially disastrous events, Ukraine has drawn up evacuation plans for the its controlled areas surrounded the plant, and has also procured supplies of potassium iodide pills, which counteract the effects of radiation on the body.
Despite repeated warnings about the risks, Zaporizhzhia has been repeatedly used by the Putin’s men to stage attacks against Ukraine.
‘Tank-killers’ will surely be next military kit supplied to Ukraine[INSIGHT]
Zelensky invites Sunak to Ukraine as PM jokes his summer holiday is sorted[REPORT]
Panicked Russians shut down sabotage claims after huge explosion rocks factory[LATEST]
Earlier this week it was reported Russia had used ballistic missiles in the the southern Zaporizhzhia region.
The Kremlin is currently retaliating to Ukraine’s counteroffensive to rid occupied areas of the Russians.
According to reports, Russian forces have been distributing information to locals in the city of Henichesk regarding evacuation points in a bid to spread panic about the counteroffensive.
According to the Independent Ukrainian broadcaster Hromadske Radio, the General Staff of Ukraine said: “In Henichesk, expecting a counteroffensive of the Armed Forces, the occupiers distribute information about evacuation points.”
They added: “In the city, mobile phones of collaborators receive SMS messages with detailed instructions and coordinates of evacuation points, which in turn causes panic.”
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
According to Valerii Zaluzhnyi, the commander-in-chief of Ukraine’s armed forces, despite Ukraine’s progress, the counteroffensive has battled against heavily mined terrain and reinforced defensive fortifications.
Zaluzhnyi said in a post accompanying a video of him visiting the frontline that Russia has also moblised a large number of reserves.
The Ukrainian armed forces said heavy battling has taken place across eastern Ukraine, particularly around Bakhmut, Lyman, Avdiivka and Marinka.
Five civilians were injured during Russian shelling of 15 cities and villages in the eastern Donetsk region, including three in Chasiv Yar near Bakhmut.
Ukraine’s deputy defence minister Hanna Maliar said on Tuesday that soldiers have advanced in some areas, but conceded that in others “the enemy is advancing”.
Maliar said progress should not be measured “solely by kilometres or the number of liberated settlements”, but did not offer what form of measurement would accurately reflect successes.
Source: Read Full Article