Thu. Mar 30th, 2023


The Real News Network

Ibiza officials issue dengue fever warning after holiday hotspot cases spike

2 min read

Holidaymakers on the party island Ibiza have been warned they could be struck down with deadly dengue fever after six tourists were infected with the bug.

Officials on the Spanish island say up to six German tourists were infected between May and November last year, and now Spain's Ministry of Health is worried about a second wave.

The government has warned there is a "moderate" risk holidaymakers could be infected in this year's summer season.

READ MORE: Body of baby found in hunt for child of arrested aristocrat and boyfriend

One confirmed case among the German tourists was a 27-year-old woman who was in Ibiza last August with her partner and their 14-month-old daughter.

All three had symptoms on August 31, but tests were only performed on the woman who was then diagnosed with dengue.

Another case involves a 37-year-old woman who – with her partner and 12-year-old son – also showed symptoms of the bug on the last day of her October stay.

Spanish health officials believe the bug could have been spread by a holidaymaker from Mexico who only displayed symptoms after arriving on the island.

Spain's Ministry of Health said in a statement: "One of the potential vectors of dengue is the Aedes albopictus mosquito, present throughout the area, the Spanish Mediterranean and the Balearic Islands and also in some areas of the interior and north of the country.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan eviction 'sparks row between Royal Family members'

"On the island of Ibiza it was first detected in 2014 and since then, it has been considered spread among the island.

"After learning about the cases, the authorities of the Balearic Islands have planned actions such as pertinent surveillance and vector control and also communication and information to the public, to be carried out before and during the start of the vector activity season."

Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne tropical disease that can cause fever, headaches, vomiting, muscle and joint pains, and skin rashes.

Most people recover after a few days, but it can be fatal if left untreated, if the patient has low blood pressure, or if they are very young or very old.

All of the German tourists are understood to have recovered.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


  • Benefits cheat posing as single mum exposed as investigators find her Facebook

  • Bloke 'changed name multiple times so he could date up to 250 women across 10-year span'

  • Benefits conmen rumbled in cringeworthy Photoshop fails used to claim they live in UK

Source: Read Full Article