Fri. Feb 3rd, 2023


The Real News Network

Death row killer’s chilling final words link him to unsolved disappearance

3 min read

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A death row killer who was executed today had some chilling final words regarding an unsolved disappearance from 14 years ago.

50-year-old David Neal Cox was sentenced to death in 2012 after he kidnapped his estranged wife Kim Cox and two children before shooting Kim and sexually assaulting her stepdaughter in front of her as she died.

The execution by lethal injection occurred at Mississippi State Penitentiary, US, at 6.12pm on Wednesday local time.

Burl Cain, commissioner of the Mississippi Department of Corrections, revealed what Cox's final words were after the killer was pronounced dead.

Cox reportedly said: "I want to tell my children that I love them very, very much and that I was a good man at one time."

Cain also said that Cox shed new light on the 2007 disappearance of Felicia Cox, his sister-in-law.

Cox was the last person to see Felecia alive and her family had hoped that he would reveal what had happened before he died.

According to Cain, Cox said that he had left a letter with someone regarding Felecia and that it would be mailed after he was killed.

He did not say who he gave the letter to.

Felicia's body has never been found.

Today's execution came after Kim told police in 2009 that her husband had sexually assaulted her daughter from a previous relationship.

The former truck driver spent nine months behind bars before being released on bond.

On May 14 2010 Cox stormed his sister-in-law's Mississippi home with a gun where Kim, their two children and his stepdaughter lived.

He took his wife and two of the children hostage for eight hours and, during a standoff with police, shot his wife in the stomach and arm.

He also sexually assaulted his stepdaughter three times in front of his wife as she died.

Cox denied medical treatment to Kim during the standoff, with court documents showing that he forced her to beg for her life on the phone to her parents and hostage negotiators.

Cox pleaded guilty to eight charges including capital murder and sexual assault and was sentenced to death in 2012.

Before today's execution he had petitioned the Mississippi Supreme Court to ask that his lawyers, who were seeking to halt his execution, be removed from the case and all appeals on his behalf to be halted.

In a 2018 letter to the court’s chief justice, he wrote that he was "a guilty man worthy of death."

The killer ate fried catfish, chips, cornbread, coleslaw and banana pudding for his last meal.

If you or somebody you know has been affected by this story, contact Victim Support for free, confidential advice on 08 08 16 89 111 or visit their website,

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Death Row
  • Murder
  • Family
  • Missing Person

Source: Read Full Article