Thu. Dec 9th, 2021

NEWS ABOUT RELAXATION

The Real News Network

‘Greedy’ labrador lucky to be alive after swallowing 11 rocks out on walk

2 min read

A greedy labrador was sent to the vet for emergency surgery after she swallowed eleven rocks during a walk.

Ellie-May, the one-year-old labrador pup was 'lucky to be alive' after she swallowed eleven rocks and had to be rushed to the vet for a gruelling three-hour surgery.

Pups are known to try and eat everything they can find- shoes, charger cables, and even dirt. But this pup may now think twice before trying to eat something her owner didn't feed her.

Her owners rushed the greedy pup to the vet after she started feeling ill, TeamDogs reports.

Ellie May and her owners were on their daily walk in the woods near their home in Gnosall, Staffordshire, when she swallowed the stones. She was very quickly transferred to Linnaeus-owned Shire Vets in Eccleshall, where she was promptly anaesthetised and examined.

After undergoing an X-ray, the vets and owners were amazed to see Ellie-May's stomach was clogged with stones.

Vet Ellie Chiswell spent three hours painstakingly removing each and every pebble.

She said: “This was a pretty unique and remarkable case.

“We took a series of abdominal radiographs which demonstrated multiple stones within the stomach, with the size and number of stones making it a very unusual occurrence.

Love dogs?

Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!

It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.

“Ellie-May promptly had an exploratory laparotomy (which is surgery to explore her abdomen), with an incision made into her small intestine to remove the large stones, and the rest of the intestine was checked to ensure no further stones.

“The procedure was successful. All stones were removed and Ellie-May has now made a full and uneventful recovery.

“She spent a couple of weeks recuperating, with exercise on her lead only for the first week due to the size of her abdominal wound, with this exercise gradually increasing as her recovery progressed and the wound healed.”

  • Husky's habit of making goofy faces through window leaves people in stitches

Remarkably, Ellie-May has made a full recovery and has not swallowed anything but dog food and treats since.

Relieved owner Robert Price, 61, said: “Ellie-May’s as fit as a fiddle again now and we’re hoping she has learned her lesson.

“She had swallowed 11 stones in total. I found seven when she vomited up her breakfast and she managed to pass one at the other end.

“I still took her straight to the vets, though, where they found a further three lodged in her stomach.

“Thankfully, we can look back on it now without any adverse effects but it could have been very serious, so we’re grateful to Shire Vets for their expert help.”

Source: Read Full Article