Sat. May 28th, 2022


The Real News Network

Man in ‘suicide vest’ threatened to blow himself up after row with mum

3 min read

A man who threatened to blow himself up outside a police station after falling out with his mum has been jailed.

Jayesh Thanki forced a Northamptonshire police station to be evacuated when he stood outside pretending to wear a suicide vest and have his hand on a detonator.

The hoaxer had already dialed 999 to tell the operator of his plans to take a bomb to Weston Favell Police Station.

Northampton Crown Court heard Thanki was close to being shot dead, NorthantsLive reports.

The 46-year-old arrived outside the police station at 12.20pm on May 14 this year with a "distinctive white face mask" following an "argument with his mother earlier that day".

Jayesh Thanki, of Dryleys Court, Northampton, made several calls to 999 and Northamptonshire Police 's Control Room on May 14 this year, claiming that he had a bomb and was going to Weston Favell Police Station with it.

During the call, the 46-year-old called the operator a "stupid b****" several times and said that the police's emergency calls system was a "f****** joke", Northampton Crown Court heard today.

  • Huge asteroid up to twice the size of Big Ben to enter Earth's orbit this weekend

Thanki turned up to the station with a rucksack strapped to the front of his body and his left hand inside as if holding a detonation device.

Northamptonshire Police evacuated the station on Pyramid Close, and eight armed police officers, a dog handler, and nine unarmed police officers attended the scene.

Explosive teams and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service were all informed, and plans were made to evacuate Weston Favell Shopping Centre if necessary.

  • Trafford General Hospital fire: Blaze breaks out at hospital after lightning strike

Thanki told officers that he had a bomb which he was "going to blow up". Negotiating officers managed to detain Thanki and he was arrested, and the bag was found to only have clothing inside.

Prosecuting lawyer Caroline Bradley said that Thanki had put himself and many others at risk.

"Not only did Thanki put himself at risk of being shot, but he put officers into a situation where they had to make critical decisions which could have been fatal," Ms Bradley said.

Presiding Judge Adrienne Lucking QC said that his actions were a result of him "wanting to gain police attention" after having had "an argument with his mother earlier that day".

Daniel Green, speaking in mitigation said that he understood the seriousness of the hoax, but said that Thanki had a "complex history of mental health issues and drug use".

"He pleaded guilty to both counts at the earliest opportunity," he said.

Thanki was sentenced to three years imprisonment, after being given a 25% credit for his plea. Half of his sentence will be served in custody and half on licence in the community.

"You put yourself in a situation where you could have been shot, and this would have caused devastation for the armed officers after discovering that there was in fact only clothing in the rucksack," Judge Lucking said.

"I accept that you were only trying to get the attention of the police, but this is still a very serious matter. You caused a huge amount of disruption and put your own life at risk."

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Source: Read Full Article